Italian Berry Cake with Mascarpone Cream
This Italian Berry cake is light and delicious and perfect for the non-baker because it comes out beautiful and is just mixing, cooking and then assembling at the end. It makes a great addition to your special occasions (how I use it) or for summertime BBQs because of the freshness.
Italian Berry Cake with Mascarpone
- 1 1/3 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups of sugar;;1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 4-6 tbsp of fresh preserves raspberry or mixed berry preserves works great!
- 16 oz of fresh berries I use blackberries, strawberries and raspberries
- 2 small tubs 8 oz of mascarpone (taken out of the refrigerator 1 hour before using to soften)
- 1 small tub 8 oz of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of honey or more to taste if your like your cream more sweet
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare 2, 8 inch or 9 inch round cake pans by greasing them and then dusting them with some flour and set aside.
- Now, sift all of your dry ingredients for your cake mix into a large bowl.
- Next add your eggs, vanilla and butter and mix with a hand mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute. Your batter should be thick but not too thick to spread in the cake pans. If it is, just add 1 tbsp of water at a time to thin it a bit.
- Now divide your batter into the 2 cake pans evenly. If it is not spreding easily, grease the back of a large spoon and use that to spread the batter around on the cake pan to reach the edges
- Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cake is golden on top and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. When done, place on cooling racks for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, run a knife along the edges of the cake to make sure it is not sticking to the side and then turn the cakes upside down onto the cooling rack and give a few good taps to the bottom of the cake pans to loosen them from the pan. They should pop out easily after doing this! If they do not, keep giving the bottom of the pans a few more good taps until they do.
- Let sit until completely cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Cream and topping
- In a medium bowl, add your mascarpone, sour cream, honey and vanilla and mix on medium speed with a hand mixer until it is smooth and creamy.
- To assemble
- Take one of your cakes and place it on a plate. Now add a few spoonfuls of your preserves and spread it all around on the cake
- Next take 1/2 of your mascarpone cream and spread that over top of your cake and preserves. Next, add 1/2 of your fresh berries evenly over the cream.
- Add your next cake over the top of this and gently press it into place.
- Repeat the steps above with the preserves, cream and berries. optional: dust the top with powdered sugar before serving