This basil olive oil cake recipe is such an amazing fresh twist on the classic Italian olive oil cake. The basil lends a beautiful aromatic flavor to the cake without overpowering it. This is great served in the summer when basil is plentiful but nice any time if you can’t wait.
Basil Olive Oil Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 t easpoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 11 large basil leaves course chopped. Large means each basil leaf measures about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, usually they get this large when grown hydroponically. If you have smaller basil leaves (usually they are when grown in the garden) increase this amount by double, or 22 small basil leaves.
- Whipped Sweet Cream:
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp of powdered sugar
- Step 1 Pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Oil, butter, or spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. You want a standard cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep.
- Step 2
- Step 3 In a large bowl, sift your flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. Now, with a blender, add your olive oil, course chopped basil and milk and blitz on high speed for about 2 minutes until the basil is fully incorporated into the liquid and the olive oil milk mixture turns a light lime green. In another bowl, add your eggs and lemon zest and mix well. Now pour the basil mixture from the blender into this bowl and mix well. Next, add the dry ingredients
- Step 4 whisk until just combined.
- Step 5 Pour the batter into the prepared pan and give it a light tapping (just lift the pan about an inch above the counter surface and drop it lightly) to get out any air bubbles. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. If you see any jiggle in the middle of your cake when pulling it out of the oven, add a few more minutes of cooking at a time until it is firm and set. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Invert your cake on to a plate and remove parchment paper on the bottom.
- Step 6 Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- Step 7 With a hand mixer, stand mixer or whisk, mix your heavy cream and 1 tbsp of powdered sugar (that has been sifted) until it starts to stiffen and form peaks at the tip of your whisk.
- Step 8 Add a dollop to each slice of cake and enjoy!