Asian Chicken Salad
Asian Chicken Salad is a repeat favorite in our house because it is Soooo tasty which pleases the clan and it is so easy to make which pleases me 🙂 I also love this recipe because it is loaded with so many healthy ingredients. The only guilty pleasure in this dish is the dressing but you can adjust that to make it low fat by substituting some of the ingredients. I feel so satisfied after eating this meal and happy that I was able to throw a delicious well balanced meal together in under 10 minutes. So for those rushed evenings dealing with school activities, work or just life, this is the meal you want to have for dinner! I think you will enjoy this recipe as much as we have over the years after you give it a try!
- 1 rotisserie chicken (meat shredded or pulled off the bones)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- toasted slivered almonds
- Crunchy chow mein noodles (found in Asian section of grocery store)
- 1 bag of mixed romaine lettuce
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 orange (skin removed and quartered or sliced)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise (or substitute lowfat yogurt)
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp of toasted sesame oil (optional)
- Water to thin out if necessary
- On a large platter, empty your cole slaw bag and mixed lettuce bag on to the platter, tossing it all together until evenly mixed. Add your sliced peppers and oranges over top of the lettuce.
- Next, place your slivered almonds in a small pan over medium heat for 5 minutes tossing occasionally to get them lightly toasted. Remove from heat let cool.
- For the dressing, in a medium bowl, mix together your Mayonnaise (or low fat plain yogurt), olive oil, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil (if using this). If the dressing seems to thick, add 1 tbsp of water at a time until it reaches a desired consistency.
- Next, take your cooled almonds, chicken and a large heaping handful of your crunchy chow mein noodles and add that to your salad. Drizzle your salad with a little bit of your dressing.
- Serve the salad with the extra chow mein noodles and remaining dressing on the side.