The Best Essential Pie Crust
Having an amazing, easy and versatile pie crust recipe is so important. I have tried many pie crust recipes (and there are many) but this one is by far my favorite! It always has a crisp crust that is nice and buttery. This pie crust recipe uses only butter and no lard or shortening so you will most likely have all the ingredients on hand.
Hope you enjoy!
Best Pie Crust
- 4 cups all purpose flour I have used soft wheat and whole wheat too with great results
- 1 1/2 cup cold butter cut your butter into cubes and keep in refrigerator until ready to use
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or any salt)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup ice water this is 1/2 cup of water with ice cubes in it to stay cold
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Mix all your dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Cut in your cold butter that has been sitting in your refrigerator. To do this, use a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until your butter is about the size of peas.
- Now add your egg and water and mix until the dough starts to come together. Coming together means that you can pick up a chunk of your dough, squeeze it together and it stays together. You may need to add a little more water if this does not happen.
- Once yor dough has come together, dump out on to a lightly floured board and shape into a ball. Divide the ball into 2 discs and wrap each disc with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate dough for 20-25 minutes to make the butter cold again (this helps with flakey layers)
- Once dough has been refrigerated, place it on lightly floured surface and fold it half. Lightly roll it into a small circle and fold it in half again. Roll it out to the size you need now and transfer to your baking dish that you are using. Here, you will bake it according to the recipe instructions of the dish that you are making (pies, quiche, etc).