Vegetable Soup With Cabbage
Soup is one of my favorite dishes to make because it is healthy, economical, easy and tastes delicious, nothing like that stuff you buy in a can. I also always make enough for leftovers so this is a regular on my meal list so I do not have to cook every night! I have so many recipes and variations for making soup for this reason. This soup is such a great dish so go ahead and give it try, you will be so glad you did!
Vegetable Soup with Cabbage
- 2 boxes of unsalted chicken stock or 5-6 cups of homemade stock
- 6 large carrots diced
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 6 medium red or yellow potatoes quartered
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 head of thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for bread if making
- Crusty bread cut up into slices and shredded parmesan cheese for serving!
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once pot is heated add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and red pepper flakes and saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Now, add your sliced cabbage and saute for about 10 minutes to soften it up.
- Next, add your chicken stock to the pot along with the diced tomatoes, potatoes and spices and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer for about 15 minutes. While it is simmering, cut up a baguette into even slices and drizzle olive oil over top. Place under a broiler and broil until it just starts to brown.
- Then flip the bread over and repeat on the other side. When bread is done remove from the oven and rub a clove of garlic on the tops of the bread.
- After about 15 minutes or so, check that the potatoes are cooked and if any seasoning needs to be added.
- Serve Bread with the soup when ready and enjoy!