Homemade Tomato Soup
There is nothing more classic than a delicious bowl of homemade tomato soup. This tastes nothing at all like soup you buy in a can and for anyone who has never had homemade tomato soup or thinks they don’t like it, they need to give this a try. It tastes amazing served along side homemade grilled cheese or homemade croutons!
This is really simple to make and this recipe utilizes canned tomatoes so it can be made year round! You can also use fresh tomatoes if they are ripe and in season. Just make sure you steam them first to remove the skins.
Hope you give it a try!
Homemade Tomato Soup
- large pot, blender
- 2 28 ounce cans of whole peeled tomatoes Regular not Italian style
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 5 leaves of fresh basil plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 32 ounces large container of good chicken stock
- In a large pot over medium heat saute your shallots for about 2 minutes
- add 1/2 of your salt to sweat out the juices in the shallots
- Now add your garlic and cook for another 2 minutes
- Next, add your chicken stock and stir well
- Now add your canned tomatoes, basil, oregano and the rest of your salt and your pepper and mix well
- Let simmer for about 15 minutes
- Now, carefully take a potato masher and mash done the large chinks of tomato. You can also do this with the back of a spoon
- Do this until most of the tomatoes has been crushed up and there are no more large tomatoes left.
- Remove your basil from the pot and discard.
- Now, take half of your soup mixture and add it to a blender and secure the lid tightly. Take a kitchen towel and place over the lid of your blender. Pulse on medium speed to puree the mixture. Note: Make sure you do not fill the blender to the top because hot liquids expand when you start the blender. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Now add your pureed mixture back into the pot and mix it in with the soup that wasn't pureed. This will give you a creamy soup with some texture. Note: If you like fully creamy soup, just puree all of your soup in batches in the blender
- Now add your heavy cream and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning and add any salt or pepper that you need.
- Serve immediately with grilled cheese, homemade croutons or crusty bread. Garnish with fresh basil