Italian Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Italian bread pudding is a very simple straight forward dessert which uses stale bread, golden raisins, eggs, sugar and milk. It is baked in the oven and often topped with a rich sauce. For this recipe I have simplified the sauce to make it easier for the everyday cook. If you do not have stale bread or cannot wait to make the recipe then store bought crostini from the bakery section (without any toppings or butter) can be used. It is best served warm once it has rested for a few minutes after coming out of the oven.
- 4 ounces of stale bread (a little less than 1/2 of a baguette), preferably a thin baguette cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter and extra for greasing your ramekins
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 a can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. In a small pot heat your milk and sugar until the milk gets hot and the sugar is dissolved. While your milk is heating, place your stale bread into a shallow dish. Now pour your hot milk mixture over this and let sit for 20 minutes. Now in a small bowl add your raisins and enough hot water to cover them and let those sit for 20 minutes. While your bread and raisins are soaking, butter 4 large ramekins (or 6 medium sized ramekins) and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar and spread it around so that it covers all of the butter. Set these aside. Once your bread is done soaking, pour it through a large sieve and with your hand gently press out some of the milk. Now place your bread into a large bowl. Drain your raisins and add those to your bowl. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk your egg and egg yolk and add that to your bowl and mix all of your ingredients together carefully as to not break up your bread too much. Now scoop out your bread mixture into your ramekins making sure they are all even and sit just below the rim. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, increase your oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 10 minutes.;While your bread pudding is baking you can make the sauce. With a small saute pan over medium heat add your sweetened condensed milk, 1 tbsp of milk, vanilla and butter and mix until it is heated through and becomes silky. Turn off heat and leave on the stove.;;Once the bread pudding is ready, remove from the oven and lest rest for 5 minutes. After resting, drizzle liberally with the vanilla glaze.Enjoy!