Easy Homemade Refried Beans
Refried beans are delicious and se easy to make at home. This recipe is made even easier by using canned pinto beans. The flavor really comes from the addition of some leftover bacon fat so try not to omit that part if you can 🙂
- 2 - 15 ounce cans of pinto beans drained and rinsed thouroughly
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, diced finely
- 2 tbsp of bacon fat (drippings from making a batch of bacon)
- Pre-heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add your bacon fat and let it get nice and hot. Once the bacon fat is heated, add your diced shallots and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Now add your garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add your pinto beans and mix it around in your shallot and garlic mixture and heat it for 2-3 minutes. Now with a potato masher (or if you don't have that, use the bottom of a sturdy glass) start smashing down your pinto beans. Keep doing this until the mixture starts to look smooth. Now add 2 tbsp of water at a time mixing it in to your beans until it has a creamy smooth consistency. If you added too much water just cook it a little longer and it will thicken. If your mixture is too dry add more water as needed.
- Now season your beans with salt and pepper.
- You can use additional seasoning for your refried beans like Adobo and it works really well! Enjoy the beans over a tostada or as a side to chicken and beef.