Amazing Chili for Dinner (with leftovers)
If there is anything that is about Keeping It Simple in my house it is making meals that last for 2 days (leftovers) and taste great. Chili is one of those dishes that actually tastes better the next day because all of those great flavors and spices have more time to hang out and get to know each other. This dish is so easy and delicious and saves you from cooking a meal on the second day. I look forward to these dishes and so will you after you give it a try.
This recipe is for 4 people (for 2 nights worth of meals or 8 total servings) and can easily be doubled or cut in half!
1. Heat a medium to large pot on medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Add the ground beef and sausage (with the casings removes) and cook until browned
2. After the meat is browned, remove the meat from the pan on to a plate and put aside. Drain out most of the grease leaving about 1-2 tablespoons and return pot to the heat. Add your diced onions and garlic to the pan and saute until translucent (about 5 minutes)
3. After the onions and garlic are translucent, add the meat back in to the pot with the onions along with the crushed tomatoes and rinsed and drained beans. Mix well.
4. Next add the spices and mix well. I like to pre-mix my spices ahead of time.
5. Now stir in the corn and let simmer for at least 1 hour and up to 2-3 hours (making sure the simmer is light). Adjust any seasonings to taste (you can add more cumin, salt or whatever spice you like to go heavy on in your chili)!
Serve with Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese and Tortilla Chips (or whatever toppings you like) and Enjoy!!
Leftovers can be stored in a container in the refrigerator and warmed on the stove over Medium Heat for about 20 minutes or until hot.